POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bitter failure : Re: Bitter failure Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bitter failure
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Feb 2009 06:40:10
Message: <498ad01a@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
> Seriously, if you want to 'test' your new kit, go and get Crysis. Load it up
> and put everything on 'High'. If you get something like 30 - 40 fps with
> *amazing* graphics, then it's working. :)

Heh. I just did that with CSS and TF2. Actually most of the settings
were already at maximum, but I was able to turn on antialiasing (at the
maximum setting) and anisotropic texture filtering (at the maximum
setting). The difference in sharpness was modestly impressive.

TF2 also allowed me to change the texture detail from "high" to "very
high". You know how I was saying the other day that you can't read the
writing on things in computer games? Well... now you can! o_O I notice
that not *all* the textures actually increase in resolution, but those
that do... Damn, I can see the brushmarks where the walls have been
painted, the grain in the wooden limbers, little bubbles in the
paintwork, and I can now *read* all the posters and signs around the
place. Yay, me!

Now, I just had a look on Steam to see if you can purchase Crysis that
way. Apparently you can (FarCry too. But I already have that.) So I
clicked on Crysis to read about it, and it says "to continue, please
enter your birthday".

Uh... WTF?

>    Or... How about doing this?
>
>      http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/
>
>     Can't say I've tried it, but I'm tempted if it will be useful.

Interesting. The page even claims it makes DirectX 10 work on machines
lacking the necessary hardware acceleration. (I.e., it will work even
without a DirectX 10 video card.) I'm almost tempted with this. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/